gzz-dev

Re: UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: Re: UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:19:56 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
  - embedding architectural diagrams (also within the
    documentation of single components to show their using contexts)

Yes. An important point here is to embed architectural diagrams in a way
that isn't too disruptive of context-- I'd like to write a peg and
include a diagram whose source code is readable when reading the rst in
source.

Yes.

An alternative for embedding the UML source inside the reST source would
be adding link to the UML source. It could be placed below the image,
when handling UML-directives. So, link for the UML source would exists
only in rsts (or actually in the htmls generated from them).

Yes, I believe the point is that this makes it one step more difficult and
less enticing to make a diagram.

Exactly. The point is that most diagrams are created for a specific context, or so I suppose-- while explaining the workings of the Gzz front end, I make a UML diagram. This is also important in the sense that if I'm viewing the image from anywhere, and I want to get a general explanation on it (not: more information about the specific classes, but: explanation of the point the diagram is trying to make), I want to go to the place the diagram was made 'for'-- the frontend document, here. It makes sense to me if that's the same document containing the source...

For diagrams that do not have a single 'master' location, putting them in a separate file seems more appropriate, so that should be possible, too.

- Benja