gzz-dev

Re: UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:52:07 +0200

> Asko Soukka wrote:
> > - Finally, Tuomas asked my interest for enhanching current documl tool
> >   and trying to write an article about it:
>
> I'd be interested in collaborating on this, if you want to.

Absolutely.

> The current
> state of the uml tool bugs me, but not quite enough to really work up
> the initiative and rework it-- if I have to do it alone...

;)

> >   + at first architecture htmls should be replaced with rst's, for
> >     reST this needs our own UML-directives.
>
> Yes. That's very imporant for this to work sensibly.
>
> An interesting issue here is how to make it work so that the reST can be
> written into LaTeX also with the UML diagrams included-- this would be
> *very* useful for me, I think.

MetaPost produces postscript so including it in LaTeX should be easy.

> One other issue is whether to include the metapost code in the UML
> directives, too-- I am for it.

There needs to be an easy way to refer to it, but other than that it's
possible, especially if the code stays even marginally human-readable.

If it only messes the .rst file up, including it with a string would be better.

> >   + at the beginning of UML-diagram should be a link list for all reST
> >     (architecture and peg) pages where diagram is included
>
> Hmm, you mean in the HTML right before the UML diagram? Or embedded into
> the image? (The latter is bloat... but I gather you mean the former...)

Either, they should be small and inconspicuous.

> >   + the diagram should be included in every documenet where it links to
>
> The problem with this and the former is, of course, that it is dependent
> on our doc architecture (pegs, javadoc, etc.). We'd need a plugin
> interface and provide customization for our doc structure through that
> interface.

Yes.

> >   + finally the diagram should be 'personalized' for document where
> >     its included (explicitly or implicitly by this script)
> >     + the current document should be focused by coloring (and maybe
> >       later with zooming) in included diagrams, here this gets
> >       interesting :)
>
> Hm, I'm not 100% convinced: this means a lot of data bloat on the output
> side... maybe optional or some such?

Possibly. On the other hand, it's not *that* much: each diagram would be
only 4-10 times; disk space is cheap. Especially since the diagrams
are usually pretty small in output.

User-interface-wise, this is really important: we *NEED* to see where
we are.

Of course, if we assume a good browser, we could just put an overlay on the
image, but ...

> >   Since everything is LGPL, this
> >   shouldn't be a problem - needs only a little more time. What this needs
> >   is at least some kind of config and listing all dependencies (javadoc,
> >   (docxx,) metapost, docutils). Probably uml.py and uml-helper.mp should
> >   be also documented little more :)
>
> Also, refactored to be cleaner.
>
> I at once thought about changing the syntax to use YAML-- would that
> make sense to you?

Depends on whether that can be made as simple. Could you make an example file?

> >   What would be the targets of the paper?
> >    - using several doc tools serially together for synergy
>
> Reference: WML. But I don't like WML-- too tangled. Hmm. Is this
> different? How?

A more specific goal. WML is about general programmability,
our little thingy is about achieving a very specific goal
in program documentation.

> >    - embedding architectural diagrams (also within the
> >      documentation of single components to show their using contexts)
>
> Yes. An important point here is to embed architectural diagrams in a way
> that isn't too disruptive of context-- I'd like to write a peg and
> include a diagram whose source code is readable when reading the rst in
> source.

Yes.

> >    - bidirectional linking within documentation (also within
> >      documentation created using different tools
>
> Yes...
>
> >    - focus+context in diagrams
> >    (- how all this should come naturally in GZZ ;)
>
> Actually, I don't understand that point.
>
> Are you saying you want to move the current diagram item to the center
> also, showing only the directly connected classes around it? This seems
> to be a very different paradigm from the current uml tool...

No, no, simply enhance the "node" of the diagram we are at.

The diagram would kind of be seen as a multi-ended link "nexus",
seen always from one of its ends (the document it's included in), and
the link to that document within the diagram would be highlighted.

        Tuomas