gzz-dev

UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: UML tool (was: Re: [Gzz] Asko 2002-12-04/05 (OvalBgVob))
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:14:51 +0100

Hi Asko,

Asko Soukka wrote:
 - Finally, Tuomas asked my interest for enhanching current documl tool
   and trying to write an article about it:

I'd be interested in collaborating on this, if you want to. The current state of the uml tool bugs me, but not quite enough to really work up the initiative and rework it-- if I have to do it alone...

   + at first architecture htmls should be replaced with rst's, for
     reST this needs our own UML-directives.

Yes. That's very imporant for this to work sensibly.

An interesting issue here is how to make it work so that the reST can be written into LaTeX also with the UML diagrams included-- this would be *very* useful for me, I think.

One other issue is whether to include the metapost code in the UML directives, too-- I am for it.

   + at the beginning of UML-diagram should be a link list for all reST
     (architecture and peg) pages where diagram is included

Hmm, you mean in the HTML right before the UML diagram? Or embedded into the image? (The latter is bloat... but I gather you mean the former...)

   + the diagram should be included in every documenet where it links to

The problem with this and the former is, of course, that it is dependent on our doc architecture (pegs, javadoc, etc.). We'd need a plugin interface and provide customization for our doc structure through that interface.

   + finally the diagram should be 'personalized' for document where
     its included (explicitly or implicitly by this script)
     + the current document should be focused by coloring (and maybe
       later with zooming) in included diagrams, here this gets
       interesting :)

Hm, I'm not 100% convinced: this means a lot of data bloat on the output side... maybe optional or some such?

   I would be interested enough, if I'm allowed to extract a fully GZZ's
   cvs independent tool from this.

Yes, it should be independent of Gzz. Sure.

   Since everything is LGPL, this
   shouldn't be a problem - needs only a little more time. What this needs
   is at least some kind of config and listing all dependencies (javadoc,
   (docxx,) metapost, docutils). Probably uml.py and uml-helper.mp should
   be also documented little more :)

Also, refactored to be cleaner.

I at once thought about changing the syntax to use YAML-- would that make sense to you?

   My motive is that I could easily
   use these tools also with other projects than gzz afterwards. And if it
   gets good enough, probably someone elso wants also...

;-)

   What would be the targets of the paper?
    - using several doc tools serially together for synergy

Reference: WML. But I don't like WML-- too tangled. Hmm. Is this different? How?

    - embedding architectural diagrams (also within the
      documentation of single components to show their using contexts)

Yes. An important point here is to embed architectural diagrams in a way that isn't too disruptive of context-- I'd like to write a peg and include a diagram whose source code is readable when reading the rst in source.

    - bidirectional linking within documentation (also within
      documentation created using different tools

Yes...

    - focus+context in diagrams
    (- how all this should come naturally in GZZ ;)

Actually, I don't understand that point.

Are you saying you want to move the current diagram item to the center also, showing only the directly connected classes around it? This seems to be a very different paradigm from the current uml tool...

-b.