gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 21:28:01 +0200

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:04:58PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> I'd like to move OvalBgVob's GL drawing into librenderable (e.g. making
> dicing possible in the future). For renderables its also easier to drawn
> fixed sized borders. A few questions about this:

Oops, saw this only now. If I don't answer something, please remind me.

> - How should any color information be given to a renderable? Currently
>   the only examples are my TDecor and SimpleConnection renderables, who
>   both get four floats (red, green, blue, alpha) as their constructor
>   parameters. Exact, but long parameter lists don't look very good.
>   AFAIK those should work also without color information
>   (using 'default color'), so I needed a shorthand for both of them.

How about using float[] ?

> - There are currently no "BgVobs" implemented as renderable. How should
>   I implement drawing "solids" (those colored stripes or sectors, when
>   cell is marked, or selected by cursor etc..)? Should the renderable be
>   only the basic form and those colored subareas are drawn on the Java
>   side of the Vob? Or should I create renderableVob, which somehow gets
>   solids as its constructor parameters and draws them on C++ side.

Both are reasonable approaches.

> Drawing solids on the Java side sound better, but it makes difficult to
> use the current fast implementation for OvalBgVob with colored stripes.

Using display lists?

Hmmm... actually, don't make a renderable yet; I'm thinking of something
a little more generalized: a renderable that takes in an OpenGL primitive-like
configuration of points and vertex attributes and worries about dicing.

That way, the uses you outline above would be simple applications of this.

Sound like what you're looking for?

        Tuomas