gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:29:22 +0200

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:05:04PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > - How should any color information be given to a renderable? Currently
> > How about using float[] ?
>
> Or could the "default color" be somehow easily changed and restored from
> the Java side? Which way is better? Should the drawing color be
> set inside or outside renderables?

I'm not sure about that yet. Definitely it is possible either way...

Or possibly it should be done like benja's suggestion for clipping, as VobScene
state...

> > That way, the uses you outline above would be simple applications of this.
>
> Drawing outline should probably be optional.

"Käytöt, joita ylimalkaisesti kuvailet yllä olisivat tämän yksinkertaisia
sovelluksia". Outline = kuvailla ylimalkaisesti

;)

> > Sound like what you're looking for?
>
> I hope so. As I understood you peg about this, even paperquad could be
> easily implemented with this new DiceableMesh?

Yes.

> Hmm... I wonder how e.g. OvalBgVob could be implemented using
> DiceableMesh. It could be easily implemented as its now - using oval
> texture as stencil. Also "solids" could then be drawn using rectangles as
> they are drawn now.

Yes, that would probably be the easiest.

>But of course outlining wouldn't then work...

How do you mean?

> Using GL_TRIANGLE_FAN, when drawing OvalBgVob, could be the second fastest
> way, but then dicing is not possible.

Well, you could just put the triangles in a diceable. Slightly more indices
but not too bad.

> GL_POLYGON?

GL_POLYGON is almost the same as TRIANGLE_FAN.

> (Btw, there must be
> fast very fast algorithms for dicing polygons, e.g. from the demo
> scene.)

Usually, polygons are split into triangles when anything is being
done with them.

> But how could colored stripes be then drawn inside polygon oval?
> Probably creating a rectangular stencil for every stripe, selecting
> stripe's color and drawing the same once defined oval for every color...

Probably best do it the other way around, stenciling the oval because it
is probably slower to draw.

        Tuomas