gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] About renderables and vobs
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:05:04 +0200 (EET)

Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > - How should any color information be given to a renderable? Currently
> How about using float[] ?

Or could the "default color" be somehow easily changed and restored from
the Java side? Which way is better? Should the drawing color be
set inside or outside renderables?

> Hmmm... actually, don't make a renderable yet; I'm thinking of something
> a little more generalized: a renderable that takes in an OpenGL primitive-like
> configuration of points and vertex attributes and worries about dicing.

Sounds great, since dicing and outlining will be general problems.

> That way, the uses you outline above would be simple applications of this.

Drawing outline should probably be optional.

> Sound like what you're looking for?

I hope so. As I understood you peg about this, even paperquad could be
easily implemented with this new DiceableMesh?

Hmm... I wonder how e.g. OvalBgVob could be implemented using
DiceableMesh. It could be easily implemented as its now - using oval
texture as stencil. Also "solids" could then be drawn using rectangles as
they are drawn now. But of course outlining wouldn't then work...

Using GL_TRIANGLE_FAN, when drawing OvalBgVob, could be the second fastest
way, but then dicing is not possible. GL_POLYGON? (Btw, there must be
fast very fast algorithms for dicing polygons, e.g. from the demo
scene.) But how could colored stripes be then drawn inside polygon oval?
Probably creating a rectangular stencil for every stripe, selecting
stripe's color and drawing the same once defined oval for every color...

--
Asko Soukka     | Taitoniekantie 9 A 603 | address@hidden
+358-40-8235947 | FIN-40740 JYVÄSKYLÄ    | http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/