gzz-dev

[Gzz] Bummer

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Bummer
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:16:02 +0100

Realization I just had: Of course, a distributed hashtable used with Gzz should not only be able to store *peers* that host a given block (as in, the peer hosting the block tells the DHT so), but also *regular HTTP servers* (as in, a peer tells the DHT, "I know that block X/the body of block X can be downloaded at URL Y).

For any site that allows deep linking, this would enable automatic fetching of web contents repurposed as Storm blocks (meaning that the content can also be accessed locally or from peers, should the server go out of service, or from another location, should the page be moved).

For files that cannot be deeply linked, we can still have a reference saying, 'you can download that block if you go to this web page,' though this would need to be coupled with some way to assert credibility, otherwise you could confuse people by directing them to arbitrary pages.

- Benja