gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: Tests (was: Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/gzz/view LinebrokenCellConte

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Re: Tests (was: Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/gzz/view LinebrokenCellContentView.java)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:12:50 +0200

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:01:34PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:41:28PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> >
> >>Does this broke something? At least all tests still passed O:-)
> >

> >No need for the smiley: if tests pass, it's not really your responsibility
> >if you broke something: it's the responsibility of the person WHO DIDN'T
> >WRITE
> >THE TEST!
>
> Well, fact: Nobody has taken the time to design the view framework so
> that it can be tested sanely. If you're so serious about this, someone
> should delete the whole gzz.view hierarchy right now and we should
> re-write it, test first. (It is allowed to delete anything that won't
> break tests, by your reasoning, so you wouldn't even have to write a PEG.)

In the extreme case, yes. Of course, deletion of a class for no reason
wouldn't be looked at nicely; there needs to be *some* reason for the action.

The type of change that Asko did is IMHO of the type

What I want to make sure is that people don't start being afraid
of changing things: did you read mudyc's change to gfx/demo/gldemo.py?
That is a symptom of something bad starting to happen when people
are afraid of changing things: everything starts getting more
complicated because no-one dares to change or delete anything
and just adds another variation.

Why is the view hierarchy not testable in its current form? How should
it be rewritten?

> It may be more sensible to actually make a plan how we can get the
> currently untested parts of the code in tested form.

That would be really good. Should we just take a list of classes and assign
them to people in TODO?

> Scrapping gzz.view
> doesn't sound like a good thing to do so soon before the paper deadlines
> (deadlines aren't an excuse for writing untested code, but they *are* an
> excuse [reason, actually] for not starting new projects of unknown
> scope-- like gzz.view rewrites).

True.

        Tuomas