gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] [Gzz-commits] gzz/gzz/view LinebrokenCellContentView.java (fwd

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] [Gzz-commits] gzz/gzz/view LinebrokenCellContentView.java (fwd)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:23:32 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
If we have more than one 'foreground color,' we will need to change the AWT/GL state multiple times per cell anyway. (If this takes too long to be done for every vob, the drawing code can remember the last color and change AWT/GL state only if the current vob's color != the last color.)

You're confusing levels here, I think. The above code would be abstracted
to one call

        put3DRect(white, lightGrey, darkGrey, darkerGrey, black)

or alternatively into its own Vob which would worry about it inside itself.

This is NOT the *basic* case I'm talking of.

Maybe I'm not understanding your argument. I saw two possible interpretations of what you said: That you thought it improved performance, and that you thought it improved elegance of code. In the above, you argue that it doesn't *degrade* elegance of code because you can do things the same way as before. I argued that it doesn't *improve* elegance of code. In another part of my post I argued that it doesn't improve performance either, but you have not replied to that.

I do believe that it degrades elegance of code because it introduces a stateful interface whose state the programmer has to keep track of, but I had already said that before.

-b.