gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG coding_standard--vegai: Coding Standard (revised)

From: Vesa Kaihlavirta
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG coding_standard--vegai: Coding Standard (revised)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:07:14 +0200

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 08:44, Tuomas Lukka wrote:

> > 1. Header comments should include full module name of the file (eg.
> >    gzz/modules/pp/demotest.py would have gzz.modules.pp.demotest).
>
> Would be nice to have a rationale for this; without it may seem arbitrary.

I'll look into it.

> > 3. After header comments, rcsid:
> >    rcsid = "$Id: peg.rst,v 1.12 2003/02/04 18:46:12 Vegai Exp $"
>
> Wasn't an issue resolved differently?

Ah, yes. Fixed.

> > 4. After rcsid, the imports (unless there's a good reason to delay
> >    importing).
> >
> >    - Prefer "import foo" to "from foo import bar".
> >    - Prefer "from foo import bar" to "from foo import \*".
> >    - No more than one import package in one line, except when importing
> > gzz and java::
> >
> >         import os, sys   # Preferably no.
> >
> >         import os        # Yes.
> >         import sys
> >
> >         import gzz, java # Yes.
>
> Exceptions: importing from current package, i.e.
> in gzz/view/buoy/buoymanager.py,
> from gzz.view.buoy import *
> should be ok

But "prefer something" implies "if necessary, break this rule", does it not?

> > 5. Imports should be grouped in the following order:
> >
> >    - standard python imports
> >    - 3rd party python imports
> >    - java imports
> >    - gzz imports
> >
> >    * imports should be in alphabetical order in the groups
>
> alphabetical? Why in the world?

This was Benja's comment from few weeks back, and it faced no
opposition then. I don't find it important personally.

> > 10. Tab-size is 8 (will be converted to spaces by make committable),
> > indentation
> >     at 4 spaces.
> >
> > 11. Never use tabs.
>
> Like mudyc said, this could probably be expressed better.

Rephrased:

10. Tab-size is 8, indentation at 4 spaces.

11. Run make committable before committing code.

    - converts tabs to 8 spaces
    - runs tests

--
V.K.