gzz-dev

[Gzz] Reaction to zz patent

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Reaction to zz patent
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:21:24 +0200

Ok, so the patent issue is real and we need to act.

The two options we have are, and their pros and cons are:

- prohibiting distribution in the U.S.

        + things go on as they do now
        - many programmers will not be able to contribute
          or take advantage
        - will cause friction in the future, when we get more
          users

- switching to an alternative structure

        + The chance to design a structure better suited
          for our goals, keeping all the positive aspects:
                * orthogonality
                * multidimensionality
                * bidirectionality
                * Xanalogical media (no patents on this one,
                  hopefully?!)
        + At the same time, get rid of all the problems
          related to the limitations of the zz structure:
                * cursors
                * slices
                * higher-level structures' consistency problem
        + By doing this, having a clearer standing in the hypertext
          research community, not just "the guys trying to implement
          Ted's stuff"
        + After name change and avoiding the patent, (hopefully) no more
          issues with Ted at all.
        - The work of designing our structure
        - Yet another identity and name change -- gzz would not be appropriate
          any longer. I'm glad I wanted to settle Hyperstructure Group for
          our name at the university.

Please post your own ideas of the pros and cons.

        Tuomas