gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Reaction to zz patent

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Reaction to zz patent
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:17:28 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> Ok, so the patent issue is real and we need to act.
> The two options we have are, and their pros and cons are:
> - prohibiting distribution in the U.S.

<jokemode> Isn't it too warlike country anyway?
</jokemode>

> - switching to an alternative structure
>       + At the same time, get rid of all the problems
>         related to the limitations of the zz structure:
>               * cursors
>               * slices
>               * higher-level structures' consistency problem

Can you explain of these a little bit more briefly or are there docs
somewhere?

>       + After name change and avoiding the patent, (hopefully) no more
>         issues with Ted at all.

Don't take Ted too personally.. but anyway, I think we are in state where
it's very good to open source comunity to fight towards no-patents and
now it's our turn.

>       - The work of designing our structure

That would be fun and weren't it the mening of life?-).

"We" might have two babies today and gzz dying..

   -Matti