gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG about simplifying xanalogical text

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG about simplifying xanalogical text
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:22:06 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 06:29:35PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:10:41PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
This still needs thinking from a security
etc. perspectives,

Could you elaborate?

Not too much; I get a funny feeling of not being convinced that
it's secure and not liable to be misused somehow.

How would you feel about an API that does only this for now, but can be extended to the more classical use later on?

My reason for asking is that I would like this to be a simplification of the system, and having the other option doesn't add security as long as it's not actually used. :-) If we could come up with a scenario where this is actually less secure, things would be different; but as things stand, I think simplicity might be preferred. What do you think?

How about allowing getScrollblock() to return null?
And adding getScrollId() for the other one.

Using getScrollId() and intersects()... yes, this could also work.

second, make
text enfilades a data type disjoint from "media"
(images, PDF, etc.).

(You haven't commented on this. In which of the two PEGs should it go in your opinion, or do you feel there should be a third?)

I thought it was the second one... that's where you're separating
text and images anyway. But I'm not sure I understood everything correctly
then...

I was saying four things I guess:

1) Random ids for text
2) Separate text and 'media'
3) To implement text, use XML literals
4) To implement media, use RDF connections

The 2nd is possible without the 4th.

Yes, true, the problem was in the lack of proper encapsulation in
the space objects.

So can you give a suitable set of API changes here?

I'll try to explain what I have in mind. Fundamental assumption: RDF graphs don't directly know about Xanalogical text; they know about literals of different types. So in the most fundamental kind of view, you'd only see the literal values; for text, the plain XML, and for media, the connection to the block / the coordinates. Showing xu text and images would be considered a view function.

There would be different APIs for parsing xu text from an XML fragment and parsing xu media from a RDF node and its connections. (Our RDF API should store the parsed form, at least of xu text, but that needs thinking...) There could be an interface at some level we could ask, "What is this RDF node?", and it would say "a string literal" or "xu text" or "an image" or "a page span" or "none of the above."

Then there would be a "cell content view"-like thing that decides what to render inside an RDF node. There would be a dispatcher, like now, that would look at some node and call different other views depending on the node's type. This dispatcher would use the "what is this" API from above.

The other views would only know how to deal with xu text or only how to deal with image spans etc.

- Benja