gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG about simplifying xanalogical text

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG about simplifying xanalogical text
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:08:31 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
I don't like that; this would be removing functionality that is in line
with the original xanadu ideas.

You mean that the text is stored only once? How much of a difference in storage space do you think this'll make in our framework?

I was saying four things I guess:

1) Random ids for text
2) Separate text and 'media'
3) To implement text, use XML literals
4) To implement media, use RDF connections

The 2nd is possible without the 4th.

Ok, probably it would make sense to have a PEG for each.
I'd be prepared to accept 1) as discussed above, but the others
I don't understand yet well enough.

Split into PEGs for 1) and 2). I won't argue 3) and 4) any more at the moment since they seem less important.

RDF literals are text-only, aren't they?

Yes, why?

Then there would be a "cell content view"-like thing that decides what to render inside an RDF node. There would be a dispatcher, like now, that would look at some node and call different other views depending on the node's type. This dispatcher would use the "what is this" API from above.

The other views would only know how to deal with xu text or only how to deal with image spans etc.

Could you formalize this to an API level?

Will do after the APIs for RDF itself are clear.

-b.