gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Starting Point for Collab Tool

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Starting Point for Collab Tool
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:06:23 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:54:24PM -0800, Eric Armstrong wrote:

All in all, this is really good news. I understand that refactoring
puts things in a bit of flux at the moment, but the result of it all
will be an excellent segmentation that lets Storm get used in a
variety of projects. It's really rather thrilling.

Very glad to hear it ;)

Me too! I gave your paper a 'diagonal read' which seemed interesting, but haven't found the time to think about it much, yet-- because of the split and all the related work going on at the moment-- but I'm glad to hear that Storm addresses many of the points you raised (if I understand you and Toni correctly).

I began to think that, mathematically, perhaps true collaboration in
the form of "global knowledge sharing" was impossible, and that
the best we could do would be some sort of "local cluster", within
which true sharing could go on.

I look forward to the results of any thinking you guys have done on
this subject, or any research you've managed to find that deals with
it.

Umm, this is not really true.

[...]

160 bits may seem like little but when you start doing the math, you'll
find that it's actually quite immense: 160 bits = 10^48. This is a huge number.
There are about 10^9 people living. The earth's mass is 10^25 kg.

Thanks, Tuomas, for making the point I didn't find the time to write up yesterday. I'd like to add one bit, though: The top two Google hits--

http://www.google.com/search?q=number%20of%20people%20ever%20lived
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~bjmcg/story2_peple_lived.html
http://www.discover.com/ask/main57.html

--place the number of people who have ever lived at 100 billion-- 10^11.

Also, the current Storm redesign (most likely the last before we make the 'persistency commitment,' i.e. the commitment to provide backward compatibility always) will give us 160+192=352 bits of pseudo-randomness in Storm blocks :-)

See:
http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/gzzdoc/pegboard/simple_storm--benja/peg.gen.html

- Benja