gzz-dev

[Gzz] Wheel turning options (was: Re: Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Wheel turning options (was: Re: Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is a problem)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:07:31 +0100

Tuukka wrote:
Navigating with mouse has it's problem too: the connected nodes should still be selectable before moving, if there are more nodes than the view can show clearly.

True, good point. However, thinking about it, I don't think it's nearly as big a problem as keyboard.

Click to select, another to move?

Ugh, no-- two clicks for almost every move, with mouse motion in between... Don't like.

Scrollwheel to move selection, left click to move?

For mouses with wheels, sounds very good. Here we can avoid the up/down problem by making wheeling in the right half of the window different from wheeling in the left half.

Drag to move selection, click to move?

Also sounds very good-- direct interaction, turn the wheel using the mouse :-)

This is a severe bug. From a few minutes of trying, I am quite convinced that you cannot 'learn' to understand this behavior, because of the inconsistency between left and right. I don't know how to fix it :-(

One option is reverting back to the idea of two scroll controls: one for left, one for right side. The sides could still scroll at the same time, or it could be better if they didn't.

They should scroll together for reversability, i.e. hitting the reverse keys in reverse order brings you back where you've been.

1. Selection is only on one side at a time: if it's on left, pressing left moves and pressing right switches selection to right. Meaning of up and down keys depends on selection side.

Not good: a) It introduces a mode; b) it conflicts with reversability (after moving with 'Right', you'd have to press 'Left Left' to get back).

2. Selection is on both sides, and we assign corners of an arrow set (numpad, joystick, "qezc" etc.) to intuitively work as clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Having four doesn't make much sense when the two sides don't scroll independently-- you'd have two sets of two keys with the same functionality.

Maybe j/l for moving and u/o for rotating... (s/f and w/r on left hand). For the cursor keys, maybe left/right + modifier.

Another possibility is that up/down with modifier reverses their meaning, so that you'd press e.g. Ctrl when looking at the left side of the wheel.

Asko wrote:
We could build a lego wheel controller O:-)

Yeah, that would be very cool. :-) But of course it doesn't solve the problem, since we need a keyboard way to turn the wheel.

Tuomas wrote:
With 3D joystick, the rudder
(i.e. rotating the stick along the stick's axis).

Same here. Sounds all very good, but we need keyboard interaction too.