gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG content_handler

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG content_handler
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:28:23 +0300

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:34:35PM +0300, Matti Katila wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > Issue: would it be appropriate to PEG something in alph about media types?
> > E.g. separating
> > an enfilade into parts of different media types is pretty generic.
>
> No, it's "multicontent"'s job to handle it properly.

We're talking about different things, maybe?

I'm referring to the operation of

        Enfilade1D -> [Text Enfilade], [PageSpan Enfilade], [Text Enfilade],
                                [ImageSpan enfilade], ...

which could be put in alph...

> Or...
>
> I discussed with Janne about this and he raised a good question (again):
>
>   - What is text primitive?

Yes, this seems to be a core recurring question with us.

> In future everyone should use hypertext, xanalogical links and such.
> So is cursive, bolding, font size primitives also? What's defined to be
> text?
>
> If original is just text and immutable can someone make lie tabloid from
> it, with text sizes etc.,  and say that it's original so what have I done
> wrong? Of course now we can check the origin and say that it doesn't
> really say that.

And there's always the way of quoting

        "He took [Ramanujan] seriously"

i.e. replacing a word with the word it refers to but is not quoted.

There are definitely two possibilities here. One which is kind of a joke:
as with libpaper, every letter should have a unique identity, i.e. should
be procedurally generated by random alterations to the basic letter shape.
And the other, i.e. allow any kind of formatting on top of the Enfilade.

I recall Benja had a design - how does it fit with RDF?

Or should we maybe go with the simplest modules in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/ (i.e. 5.2.2 or 5.2.2+5.2.4),
enhanced with <alph:ts> spans as the text content... Might be worth
looking into now, and would make us even more compatible.

Opinions?

> Well, an old scenario, I'll got at year 2004 an email from someone from
> this group and it contains just one enfilade:
>
> """
>   blaa lbaa blaa...
>   ..ibsum bara blump...
>
>   ..did you saw last days Newsweek?
>   [and a piece of content of that newsweek]
>
>   .blaa blaa balaa..
>
>       someone
> """
>
> Is this right? Do we have only enfilade if newsweek content has got
> pictures? Can enfilade have multiple media types in content?

Well, currently an Enfilade1D can.

If we take the modular XHTML approach then module 5.7 (Image)
would solve this neatly.

As a matter of fact, I think I'm starting to feel it might be a good
idea to do that, no matter what Ted says about embedded markup ;)
(of course, with text spans the markup *isn't* embedded any more)

Maybe I should PEG this idea...

        Tuomas