gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] The FenPDF interface

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] The FenPDF interface
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:02:17 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Moving inside the focused article or canvas can be done in two ways: By
> clicking where you want to go, or by dragging the article/canvas to the
> position where you want it to be.

You missed the mouse wheeler. reading a text is much more easier with
mouse wheeler. Yes, you are right we still don't have wheeler.

> Actions we can use
> ==================
> - Left click
> - Left drag
> - Right/middle click/drag
> - Modifier key + click/drag
> - Shortcut key

Middle drag isn't very usable because of wheeler and it's common in
mouses.

> Everything except left click and left drag is unusual to many people.

Are you saing this as a mac user or..?-)
If you have used pp for 15 minutes you can not live without mouse3(right)
dragging it just is so easy to change zoom factor with it. You should try
it. We have a new interface - don't miss points of it because of
the weight off the history.

> The hardest decision
> ====================
> Now, everything that can be done with dragging the paper can be done
> with clicking on points. Not as conveniently, yes; but if we improve the
> timing, I think it won't be horrible. Therefore, I think left drag
> should be selection, and drag-to-move-paper should be another
> button/combination.

No, this is the way as xupdf -demo used to do it and it's horrible to *use*.

> Proposed interface
> ==================
>
> First of all, I think while reading you want to be able to keep track of
> different parts of different articles. This could be done with having
> multiple cursors (foci) in different parts of the screen.

Argh! Too much noise *with buoys*. Test pp, there's "shotrcut" papers ==
too much noise. KISS

> So, I propose that at every time, you have your main focus, "what you're
> reading right now," and a PP canvas for
> - bookmarks

How many people use bookmarks in browsers?
How they get back to node before jump to bookmark?

> - notes
> - arranging transclusions into Memex-like trails etc

- photos/pictures
- drawings with vobs etc.

> I propose that the PP canvas is a resizable region at the bottom of the
> screen,

So you are propousing to eat my screen space? yes, windows has panel at
the bottom. I don't need it. Who do need it? The panel is invented because
of the noise on screen but we don't need n+1 applications because we have
canvases. We are making a new way to use a computer and that isn't hype.

> Selections would be a rectangular shaded region of the article. You
> couldn't select regions on a PP canvas.

Can you draw all this?-) I don't follow.. and still it sounds like too
much noise on screen.

> Proposed bindings
> =================
>
> - Left click on point of article or PP canvas: focus it
> - Left click on PP canvas buoy:

Now I missing something. There are no such thing as a "pp canvas buoy"
there should be only buoys.

Ok, stopped replying now. I propouse that you should use pp from gzz.
Play half an hour with it, construct your own graph with it, make big and
small papers(content), use shortcuts, make associations and so.

..And then go to your browser and wonder why it doesn't zoom with your
mouse movements ;)

   -Matti