gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] The FenPDF interface

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] The FenPDF interface
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:17:38 +0300

Matti Katila wrote:
Actions we can use
==================
- Left click
- Left drag
- Right/middle click/drag
- Modifier key + click/drag
- Shortcut key

Middle drag isn't very usable because of wheeler and it's common in mouses.

Hm, I don't find it hard to use with a wheel view...

Everything except left click and left drag is unusual to many people.

Are you saing this as a mac user or..?-)

As a person observing others using the computer.

If you have used pp for 15 minutes you can not live without mouse3(right) dragging it just is so easy to change zoom factor with it.

It's very nice, but that doesn't change the point: That people aren't used to it, and will not try it when they start using FenPDF.

The hardest decision
====================
Now, everything that can be done with dragging the paper can be done with clicking on points. Not as conveniently, yes; but if we improve the timing, I think it won't be horrible. Therefore, I think left drag should be selection, and drag-to-move-paper should be another button/combination.

No, this is the way as xupdf -demo used to do it and it's horrible to *use*.

The xupdf demo had a way to pan (drag-to-move) with the mouse? I've never seen that.

Proposed interface
==================

First of all, I think while reading you want to be able to keep track of different parts of different articles. This could be done with having multiple cursors (foci) in different parts of the screen.

Argh! Too much noise *with buoys*. Test pp, there's "shotrcut" papers == too much noise. KISS

I don't understand what you're saying. What's shortcut papers, and why are they too much noise?

So, I propose that at every time, you have your main focus, "what you're reading right now," and a PP canvas for
- bookmarks

How many people use bookmarks in browsers?

Not many, I think. Yet, I think the situation is quite different when you can organize things you're viewing onto a canvas, in order to get back to them quickly.

How they get back to node before jump to bookmark?

I don't know; maybe back button, if it's really necessary.

- notes
- arranging transclusions into Memex-like trails etc

- photos/pictures

Hm, in FenPDF?

- drawings with vobs etc.

Maybe useful for scribbling while reading articles.

I propose that the PP canvas is a resizable region at the bottom of the screen,

So you are propousing to eat my screen space?

I think it will be useful for you. If it isn't, you can make it size zero.

yes, windows has panel at the bottom. I don't need it. Who do need it?

Me. It's the way I switch between windows. Ok, so now I use ion instead of kwin, and it has the window titles at the top instead of the bottom-- not much of a conceptual difference. In any case, I find it *saves* my screen space by not requiring that I "arrange" windows (yuck).

The panel is invented because of the noise on screen but we don't need n+1 applications because we have canvases.

???

We are making a new way to use a computer and that isn't hype.

Well, IMHO we need a way to keep track of multiple articles / positions in the hyperstructure while browsing-- and the main focus + PP canvas interface could be *really* good at that, I think. Making bookmarks from the structure, notetaking while reading, and Memex-like trails, all rolled into one (i.e., it's never clear what of the three you're doing at any given moment)-- that's quite a new and useful way to use the computer, to me.

If you think that I want it for hype because Windows has a panel, you must've misunderstood something ;-)

Selections would be a rectangular shaded region of the article. You couldn't select regions on a PP canvas.

Can you draw all this?-) I don't follow.. and still it sounds like too much noise on screen.

I have a drawing here... I'll ask Tuomas to scan it, tomorrow.

Proposed bindings
=================

- Left click on point of article or PP canvas: focus it
- Left click on PP canvas buoy:

Now I missing something. There are no such thing as a "pp canvas buoy" there should be only buoys.

A buoy that shows a piece of a PP canvas, as opposed to a buoy that shows a piece of a scrollblock. (Clearer?)

Ok, stopped replying now. I propouse that you should use pp from gzz.
Play half an hour with it, construct your own graph with it, make big and small papers(content), use shortcuts, make associations and so.

I can't make it run:

address@hidden:~/gzz$ make runpplocal
Tempfile is /tmp/file0C4xeh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:gfx java -Xms64M -Xmx128M -Dpython.path=depends/jythonlib.jar:depends/pythonlib.jar:depends/yaml.jar:depends/docutils.jar -Dpython.verbose=message -Duser.editor=gnuclient org.python.util.jython gzz/modules/pp/localpp.py PP Screen added to UpdateManager
java.lang.Error: Wrong # coordsys: 1 for address@hidden
        at gzz.vob.Vob.putGL(Vob.java:104)
        at gzz.gfx.gl.GLVobMap.put(GLVobMap.java:90)
        at gzz.modules.pp.Win.generate(Win.java:165)
        at gzz.client.Screen.generateEndState(Screen.java:121)
        at
gzz.client.AbstractUpdateManager.callGenerateEnd(AbstractUpdateManager.java:145)
        at gzz.client.AbstractUpdateManager.run(AbstractUpdateManager.java:475)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

- Benja