gzz-dev

Storm developments and airguitar (Re: [Gzz] *Sigh.* Fwd: ACM HT03: Paper

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Storm developments and airguitar (Re: [Gzz] *Sigh.* Fwd: ACM HT03: Paper Results)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:15:41 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 address@hidden wrote:
> From: Les Carr <address@hidden>
> > of your work in the form of a two-page Short paper, a four-page Technical
> > Briefing, a Poster or a Demonstration (deadline for all categories 30th
> > May).

has there already been communications about the short paper? and demo
perhaps?

> > While the duplication of IDs will have a relatively low probability for
> > any given file, it will have a non-trivial probability of happening for a
> > number of files in a collection as large as the set of all files
> addressable on the Internet.

my understanding from the math that the other authors have explained is
that this is not an issue with e.g. 160-200bit identifiers, that should be
enough for every part (referring to versioning and granularity) of every
document ever created by anyone anywhere, in the history and future as
well, not only those that are on the Internet.

a reference to the math is of course be in place in the revision. one
discussion about it occurred in:

--- http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gzz-dev/2003-02/msg00109.html ---
> 160 bits may seem like little but when you start doing the math, you'll
> find that it's actually quite immense: 160 bits = 10^48. This is a huge
> number. There are about 10^9 people living. The earth's mass is 10^25
> kg.

Thanks, Tuomas, for making the point I didn't find the time to write up
yesterday. I'd like to add one bit, though: The top two Google hits--

http://www.google.com/search?q=number%20of%20people%20ever%20lived
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~bjmcg/story2_peple_lived.html
http://www.discover.com/ask/main57.html

--place the number of people who have ever lived at 100 billion-- 10^11.

Also, the current Storm redesign (most likely the last before we make the
'persistency commitment,' i.e. the commitment to provide backward
compatibility always) will give us 160+192=352 bits of pseudo-randomness
in Storm blocks :-)

---end---

otherwise, this other issue has been addressed elsewhere too:

> > Versions) are interesting, other pressing issues regarding the impact of
> such
> > data mobility, including provenance, rights management and accountability
> > are ignored.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gzz-dev/2003-01/msg00148.html
(couldn't find the other reply to my comment from Benja,
noting uninterest in implementing DRM which i consented)

and must be discussed in Alph/Storm publications also because they were so
central in the original work on xanalogical media.

> > pressing user problems, including how one finds a document when it`s
> identifier is a 160-bit hexadecimal string, and how policy models can be

AFAIK naming and UI issues are generally outside the scope of Storm,
but of course can be dealt with somehow in the publication (illustrating
examples e.g.)

> > - you talk about integrating STORM into other systems.
> > It would be interesting to state whether it can
> > be integrated into today`s Web, and if yes, how.

the mentioned idea about Zope integration tried to address this area,
as Zope is a Web application server.

currently the Storm P2P uses http for file transfer,
i guess this is some kind of Web integration too ;o

all that said, I'm personally probably unable to attend this years HT
anyhow, as it collides with the Oulu Music Video Festival where 'll be
busy working (past few years the festival has been a week earlier)

perhaps a part of the Storm demo will be showing Finnish Music Videos and
clips from the Air Guitar World Championships happenining during the
conference, from Oulu :)

the current champion is a Brit so there might be interest there otherwise
too -- feel free to see him perform in
http://www.omvf.net/2002/en_ilmakitara2.html

~Toni