gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Third, PEG cursors--humppake: Changing mouse cursor

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Third, PEG cursors--humppake: Changing mouse cursor
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 11:40:06 +0300

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:44:32PM +0300, Asko Soukka wrote:
> > Why Cursor objects? Are you sure that's a good idea? How much
> > do cursor objects initialize of AWT?
>
> I don't know, but I guess cursor won't change so often
> that it would be a problem...
>
> AFAIK, comparing strings isn't cheap either.

Umm, the problem is that using the Cursor object in GL just might
pull in several megabytes of AWT stuff - we don't know how much
it will initialize.

Comparing strings is VERY cheap compared to that.

> > I still would prefer just passing a String to the GraphicsAPI.Window method.
>
> But then we should define somewhere all possible mouse cursor strings.

No, we need to define a stable subset somewhere. AWT and GL can then
extend it as they like.

> So,
> using awt cursor would be easy as long as the default system cursors are
> enough. And still there is mysterious "custom cursor".
>
> Should we have both? Interface for using AWT Cursor or pure string?

Ok, how about

- GraphicsAPI uses String and works for both AWT and GL
- AWTAPI has additional call for Cursor objects, so if you know you're
  running in awt you can typecast

> > BTW: you don't need to put so much of the implementation code in the PEG -
> > just the interface (the externally visible part of GraphicsAPI) is needed.
>
> Ok. I can comment them :) I still need them to remember all the places
> this affects. It took some time for me to find out them all ;)

Ok, it's then better to make a really clear difference between the
interface and impl... maybe you should mark the impl as an appendix?

        Tuomas