gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: ugly patch in CachedNodeFunction

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: ugly patch in CachedNodeFunction
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:05:28 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:05:26AM +0300, Matti Katila wrote:
> >
> > How should cached nodes to be made dirty?
> > ObsTriggering or something?
>
> Yes. Could you write a test that shows where you had problems?

It was just text node view which I wanted to change color after user
events. So nothing happened after clicking and I though it was cached what
was actually the right thing.

You might need to help me with obstriggering if it's the right answer.

> If something doesn't seem to be working the way it's supposed to,
> that should be your *first* reaction.

No, the reaction was: "Houston, we have a problem." :)

> Are you sure you're obeying the rules in the CachedNodeFunction
> javadoc?

Well, "Second, no function whose return value depends on anything except
the passed parameters (including the Graph) may be called."

- do we need to extend cachednodefunctiono to flushablecachednodefunction
  where this is allowed?

- how did you think to use this strict functionality in ui?

> You might also have told, in this mail, which function is not working
> and how...

Yes, the message should be something like: "Caching is fun and it gives a
speed but what should be done when we can't use caching?"

> >     // AAaarrgghh, tried to find a few hours to how to set nodes dirty
> >     // mudyc, XXX
> >     public void makeAllDirty(Object node) {
>
> I don't object to having this, in general terms, but I'd prefer
>
>       flush(Object node)

Hmm, yes i did sketching first, say tried to make one node to dirty. It
was not very good since clicked notes remained to be red even they weren't
accursed anymore :)

> and
>
>       flushAll()
>
> if you don't mind.