gzz-dev

[Gzz] Docutils, locales and encodings

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: [Gzz] Docutils, locales and encodings
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:24:37 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

1. please, update navidoc-depends; now used Docutils/Navidoc successfully
   to convert non-ascii after "unset LANG".

2. You may define encoding of Docutils(/Navidoc) input and output files
   in docutils.conf located in working directory

   I.e.:
"""
[options]
input-encoding: utf-8
output-encoding: utf-8
"""

I think I finally found the problem that caused Docutils to fail
when converting non-ascii characters with "wrong" locales. At first, it of
course wasn't Docutils itself at all, since it worked fine with CPython
and failed only with Jython.

The fix was program Docutils to use Java's file I/O functions directly
instead of Jython's - as Tuomas suggested on Tuesday.

I guess, Jython does something too intelligent. I.e. only reading and
writing an UTF-8 file may turn all non-ascii characters into "?"s.

--
Asko Soukka <address@hidden>
<http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/>