gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: the Storm article

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: the Storm article
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:25:23 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Armstrong wrote:
Benja Fallenstein wrote:

I look forward to "Taking the World by Storm".

And I'm looking forward to that article! ;)

I wrote up a starter page. I'll be needing a pointer
to wherever this paper gets published. Then I'll need to do
a close read of the final version and come up with a big picture summary that explains why this will be the best thing
since sliced bread -- and find a publisher. (The fact that its
written in Java will help, since I'm in touch with several
editors....)

Our original submission was rejected, because some of the reviewers strongly believed that there would be hash collisions (we didn't say in the paper how unlikely that is, mathematically, as you remember :) ). We were encouraged to re-submit as a short paper, and that was accepted. I've attached it.

It will be published in: http://www.ht03.org/

I currently use Storm to store my own notes (written in emacs) and I'm already quite satisfied with it, so I think we're nearing the point where we can make a first public release.

However, pointers (i.e., documents that you can change) aren't yet in a state where we could make the persistency commitment on them, and thus I don't feel ready to make a public release yet. :( Because, if people saved data in Storm using the current format, later versions of Storm wouldn't be able to read it. So I wouldn't feel confident asking people to start using it in its current form.

Currently doing research on the problem (lots of thinking), and I hope to get something done "real soon now" ;-)

(The research problem with pointers is that it's not really good enough to bind pointers to cryptographic public keys-- you want to be able to change keys when your original key gets leaked to the public, for example, and have your pointers continue to work. If you want, I can give you an update with the details.)

Cheers,
- Benja