gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] org/fenfire/util/RDFList.java

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] org/fenfire/util/RDFList.java
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:01:29 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:58:01PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
You're thinking of bags. Read the documentation above.

Well, the versioning of lists is very intricate, and also depends
very much on the internal representation.

For linked lists, two sets of incompatible changes can get you
a loop, if not dealt with properly (see the gzz/Documentation/VersioningMerge).

Ok, true, for merge it's a problem.

Last time you raised this, you were talking about--

For the RDF _1, _2, ... types of lists, it's worse: an insertion
maps to O(n) tuple changes.

which is bags, not "collections" (lists); this is about diff/patch, and I assumed again you were talking about problems when doing diff/patch, not merge.

In CVS, we can probably represent lists through the special RDF syntax:

    <hasAuthors rdf:parseType="Collection">
        <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ex.org/foo"/>
        <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ex.org/bar"/>
    </hasAuthors>

(This is a list with two elements.) CVS will then handle merge just fine.

When doing a triple-wise diff, the merge will indeed have to handle lists specially. I think the partial order stuff would probably be fine.

[other mail]
Let's talk first about *for what* is it going to be used.

Different types of lists need different versioning constraints.

Ok, how so? (Which types of lists need different merge handling?)

- Benja