h-client-devel

Re: [H-client-devel] Questions about the python3-port branch in the git

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [H-client-devel] Questions about the python3-port branch in the git repo
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:19:01 -0400

Hello Yuchen,

Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:

> I had a cursory look at the python3-port branch[0], which is a port to
> python3/gtk3 according to [1], and I have some quick questions:
>
> 1. The tree looks a bit weird: it contains an h-client subdir[2] which looks
> identical to the tree[0] itself sans the h-client subdir, why?

Yes; I noticed that too.  At some point in the history it gets removed;
I think it had to be that way to be able to merge both SVN histories as
one.

> 2. The README.txt[3] still says python 3 is not supported.  Perhaps it
> needs updating?

Right.  We'll want to cut a proper release I think and take care of
these things.  The python3-port branch is already used in Guix; I had
made sure it works at least as well as the old Python 2 code base.

I suggest we wait a bit to see what Bill thinks about their progress on
(much welcome!) UI improvements.  If they are satisfied and development
reaches some milestone soon, we could test it, merge it to master
(deleting the now obsolete python3-port branch) and release from master.

How does that sound?

Thanks,

Maxim