h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] box and observables

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] box and observables
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:14:10 +0200

Am 23.09.2013, 22:53 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:48:27AM +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
Why not take the same point of view for "observables"? We'd then have
only subsystem-naming groups at the top level, and all observables,
including "box", inside them.

I like the idea of replicating the subsystem structure from "particles"
to "observables". But given that the observables are not specified in
detail, would this proposal allow for further subgroups within the
subsystem groups?

As for the box, I don't like the idea, I don't like it at all.

This sets false expectations (that all observables within a subsystem
group are sampled on the same time grid). Further, it only shifts the
problem of data sampled at different times one level deeper, from the
root groups (observables) to the subsystem groups.

Nothing is said about the sampling intervals in observables. The data groups within one subgroup may have very different time grids. Of course, this might become a mess, but an analysis routine may simply refuse to process such a file (unless it implements some search algorithm for equal IDs).

For the box, essentially nothing changes. The group has merely been moved from "observables" to "observables/global".

Felix