h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Make "time" optional?

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Make "time" optional?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:40:15 +0200

Am 15.07.2014, 14:33 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

All the points you mentioned (abuse of the format, rule-bending) will cause
trouble if not handled properly.

This all might lead to H5MD 2.0 arriving sooner than expected but it is much preferable to have that than to have H5MD fade into oblivion! Depending on the backward-compatible character of the changes (as mentioned by Peter) it might be either 1.1 or 2.0. As Peter wrote, nothing to worry about but we should indeed
respect the versioning that we've chosen.

Concerning the versioning, we need an (internal) definition of what
"backwards compatiblity" means. As I indicated earlier, I suggest
something like

"For y > x, the format version 1.y is backwards compatible to 1.x if a
reader expecting 1.y can deal with 1.x."

An old reader expecting 1.x can not handle 1.y, of course. This means that
1.y is a superset of 1.x, it may be more relaxed or include additional
fields.

Felix