h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: H5MD box group

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: H5MD box group
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:17:20 +0200

Hi David,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 07:40:14PM +0000, Hart, David Blaine wrote:
> I’ve re-written this email several times, as I’ve sorted out what I want to do
> in my head. It would seem that I’m looking at two things. The first,
> converting my current dump files to the H5MD format, I can do a little bit
> looser and store things in a separate root group if necessary. The second,
> writing a LAMMPS plugin that would output H5MD files directly, I probably want
> to be a bit more formal, specifying what extra fields are output as particle
> information in an h5md module, so that the LAMMPS code can point to a module
> definition defining the elements within a particles group (like the
> thermodynamics module does with observables) that can be linked to each other
> with the semantic versioning number. Is that the approach you would suggest?
> Or would you still suggest putting the non-standardized particle data in a
> different root group? [You convinced me that adding particles/…/box/offset
> would be a bad idea, but I still think that particles/…/offset would be useful
> with lammps outputs.]

Is there any news on this?

I am toying with lammps currently for some atomic simulations. I'd gladly help
to test the H5MD plugin or contribute if needed.

Also, you would indeed both the plugin and a H5MD "module". You can design the
module later on and just dump whatever data you need in "/lammps" in the
meantime, taking care to use the regular H5MD whenever possible (for position,
etc).

Cheers,