Re: [Health-dev] Cannot overwrite a previously saved data

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Cannot overwrite a previously saved data
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 12:33:43 -0300

Hi team

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree with Hannah that it should not be possible to change/amend a patient's
> healthcare information without a record being kept of the original data entry.
> If a healthcare record is incorrect or complete or no longer valid then the
> information should be held in an "all historical/inactive transactions"
> database table.
I think it depends on what type of information we are talking about.
For instance, patient demographics is dynamic and need to be changed.

Other type of patient related records, such as evaluations, can be set
to a read-only state once is done.

What I believe would be the best solution is using public
cryptography, so the health professional can digitally sign the
document (lab results, evaluations, ... ).  He or she could also
encrypt it (if needed).

With public crypto we take care of both non-repudiation and record
integrity . So, you can leave the record in read/write mode.

Of course, a combination of both can be also implemented ( public
crypto + read-only state ). It will largely depend on the legislation
where the health center .

Best

--
Luis Falcon