Re: [Health-dev] Patient allergy module for GNU Health?

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Patient allergy module for GNU Health?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:39:27 -0300

Dear Andrew
On 10/20/2013 01:19 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Dear GNU Health team
>
> I would like to suggest the creation of a new "patient
> allergy" module for GNU Health. This would allow the recording of a patient's
> drug and non-drug allergies and intolerances (advese reactions).
>
> If the
> information in the module was coded (SNOMED CT) then it might be possible to
> include decision support functionality so that if a patient was recorded as
> allegic to penicillin and a penicillin type drug was prescribed then a pop-up
> warning would appear to alert the doctor/prescriber about the possible hazard.
>

> I don't think this would be difficult to do from a programming perspective
> and
> it would be a useful patient safety feature for GNU Health to have.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, allergies are so important that we
include the functionality in the core module. We currently have the
following functionality.

- Patient model : Permit to include in the "Allergies and critical info"
notes related to the allergies
- Disease Model (coding system independent) : Allow to enter the
allergy, its severity and the type of allergy (food, drug, misc, .. ) .
There is a check box that allows easy search for atopies on the patient.
- Disease groups : The disease model also has the disease group list, so
you could create a group of "allergic conditions" and include the
disease on this category.

- ICD-10 : If you use ICD10 coding system with GNU Health, you can use
the coding of such reactions. Of course, this is only if you use ICD10
and should be not be taken as a general rule.

This said, I agree with you that upon entering the patient view, we can
include all these previously-entered information.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best,

--
GNU Health : The Free Health and Hospital Information System
http://health.gnu.org