Re: [Health-dev] [task #12912] Automatic retrieval of patient allergies

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] [task #12912] Automatic retrieval of patient allergies
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:34:03 -0300

Hi Andrew !
On 11/05/2013 03:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello Luis
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> I agree that the SNOMED CT coding system
> is only available as a free download in certain countries and so cannot be
> considered for GNU Health at the moment.
>
> I searched the ICD-10 pathology
> section with "allergic" "allergy" "intolerance" and "adverse reaction" and
> this
> revealed a few more descriptions and codes which may need to be linked.
But we have to make a difference between allergies (a true immune system
triggered reaction ) and intolerance. So, for example, some people with
malabsorption syndromes usually are have some sort of food intolerance,
but are not necessarily allergic.

> One
> important code is Z88.0 - personal history of allergy to penicillin.
Yes. That's, of course, included. I actually highlighted it on the
screenshot to make sure we don't miss it :)

> Might it
> be possible for all penicillin medication products to be flagged with this
> code
> in the medicament database table "adverse reaction" field. If so, it might
> then
> be possible to develop some decision support functionality which could check
> the patient's allergy code with the drug database adverse reaction code. If
> they match then a pop up warning could appear to warn the prescriber.
>
> "!!!
> This patient is allergic to penicillin. Please cancel prescription or proceed
> with extreme caution !!!"

Absolutely. That is one of the beauties of having the disease groups. So
now, we can integrate another check, and that is the drug allergies.
> This might be a bit ambitious for the short term
> development plan but it would be good to include it in the medium term plan
> :-)
We are there, this functionality will be included in the 2.4 series :)

Thanks a lot again for your very important contributions !

Best,

--
GNU Health : The Free Health and Hospital Information System
http://health.gnu.org