[Health-dev] Health_Lab Question

From: Kurt Symanzik
Subject: [Health-dev] Health_Lab Question
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:41:03 +0800

Hello,

I am currently customizing GnuHealth 2.2.2 for use in a large lay-in maternity clinic in the Philippines. As such, we need some of the functionality of the health_lab module but the module work flow “out of the box” will not likely work for our situation.

I already have the tree view of the lab results displaying within the pregnancies view, limiting the lab results to the patient with dates between the lmp and the latter of either pdd or today.

I want to allow the midwife to create new lab results “on the fly” while conducting a prenatal evaluation based upon the lab results that the patient brings to the appointment. The clinic does not perform their own lab work. In other words, I want to avoid the midwife having to leave the pregnancy screens in order to do these steps:

  1. Generate a lab request from the main patient screen
  2. Go to the lab test requests screen in order to “create the lab test”
  3. Confirm the lab test creation on the confirmation screen
  4. Go to the Lab Test Results screen in order to enter the lab information that the patient brought with them to the appointment.
  5. Then go back to the patient screen and onward to the pregnancy screens to continue the prenatal evaluation

Instead, I would like the midwife to be able to do this:

  1. From the pregnancy screen, create a new lab result for the patient.
  2. Fill in the lab results.
  3. Continue with the prenatal exam having never left the patient pregnancy screens.

My question is this: would you recommend that I write a custom module to customize the health_lab work flow and screens, or would it be better to create a custom module without any reliance on the health_lab module at all? Put another way, can the health_lab module be adjusted via a custom module to fit our needs or not?

Any help, examples, and/or recommended approaches to this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Kurt Symanzik

--
Kurt Symanzik, Software Engineer