[Health-dev] Dependency on Tryton

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: [Health-dev] Dependency on Tryton
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:57:17 +0100

Hi devs,

As I'm polishing up the Debian package, I'm thinking about the dependency of GNU Health on Tryton.

Tryton releases new versions quite regularly, which are packaged rather quickly in Debian. The GNU Health release comes a few weeks/months later. Example:
- Tryton 2.8 was released on 2013-04-22
- GNU Health 2.2.0 (which depends on Tryton 2.8) was released on 2013-09-22
- Tryton 3.0 was released on 2013-10-21
- GNU Health 2.4.0 (which depends on Tryton 3.0) was released on 2014-01-26

So looking at the 9 months between 2013-04-22 and 2014-01-26, the latest version of GNU Health was depending on the then last version of Tryton only for one month.

As you guys are well informed on developing on the Tryton platform, I'd like to hear how strict the dependency on a certain Tryton version is, as in "is Tryton backwards incompatible" when newer versions are released?
To take the previous example, could GNU Health 2.2.0 run on Tryton 3.0? (I guess not, as the release notes for 2.2.0 [0] mention "The development process for the next version (2.4) will focus on the upcoming Tryton 3.0.")

If that's not the case, it means that as long a a new version of GNU Health is released to depend on the newer version of Tryton, the version of Tryton to be available in the Debian Testing distribution will be stuck on the previous Tryton version. As you can understand, blocking Tryton users of testing and using the newest version is not a desired outcome.

Please inform me on the importance and strength of this dependency, so that I can get in touch with the Debian Tryton maintainers to come up with a plan to address this.

Thanks!
[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health-announce/2013-09/msg00000.html