Re: [Health-dev] Development roadmap

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Development roadmap
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 10:43:14 +0100

Hi Emilien !
On Mon, 5 May 2014 16:23:04 +0200
Emilien Klein <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Luis,

> > Hi Emilien !
> >
> > On Sun, 4 May 2014 14:52:04 +0200
> > Emilien Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi GNU Health development team,
> >>
> >> As you know GNU Health entered the Debian package archive a few
> >> months back. The version 2.4.1 that is currently packaged depends
> >> on Tryton 3.0.
> >>
> >> The Debian maintainer for Tryton has prepared the packages for
> >> Tryton 3.2, and those packages are uploaded in Unstable. Due to
> >> the strict dependency of GNU Health 2.4 on Tryton 3.0, the newer
> >> Tryton packages are currently blocked from migrating from the
> >> unstable to the testing Debian repository.
> >>
> >> In order to best manage the expectation of all Debian packagers
> >> involved, can you indicate when the next GNU Health version (which
> >> will depend on Tryton 3.2) will be released?
> >> Better yet, is there a publicly-accesible place where the
> >> development timelines (including future release dates) are
> >> published, maybe on the GNu Health wiki?
> >>
> > GNU Health 2.6 will be out July 6th . This version will be Tryton
> > 3.2 compatible.
> >
> > Agree on making accesible the next release date at wikibooks[1]. We
> > also announce the next stable version at the official homepage[2]
> > one month before the actual release.
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> The freeze period for the next stable Debian release will be on the
> 5th of November 2014.
> The next Tryton version (3.4) will be out 15 days prior to that.
>
> We would like to get the latest Tryton version into the next Debian
> release, but that won't work if the GNU Health version is still
> depending on the previous Tryton version.
>
> Do you think that it would be possible (for GNU Health 2.8 at least,
> but probably for other future versions as well) to align the release
> of GNU Health closer to the Tryton release dates?
Although very much related, GNU Health and Tryton have their own
development cycles.
We try to release a GNU Health version after 1 or 2 months
from the latest Tryton stable release, so we get the best and newest
Tryton framework features, plus the stability given by that period of
community testing.
> I understand you develop newer versions of GNU Health on the
> development versions of Tryton (3.3 etc.), I assume you would thus
> still be able to develop the next GNU Health version while Tryton's
> new version is maturing, and release the new GNU Health version a
> couple of days/weeks after Tryton?
>
> Another question from Mathias (Debian's Tryton Maintainer) is what the
> support timelines for GNU Health are.
> Apparently Tryton supports a release for up to 2 years.
> On the wiki [3] I see that "Since version 2.2.1, "patchsets" will be
> released for the GNU Health stable versions (those with even minor
> number, ej 1.2.3 )".
> "stable versionS" is mentioned in plural form, but it is not mentioned
> for how long they are supported. It would be great if you could
> provide some clarification on this topic as well.
Great point.

The easiest and most practical way to keep your system uptodate is that
your health center should keep GNU Health on the latest version.

One of the great things about GNU Health is that the upgrade
path is and will always be available, documented, Free / Libre and
gratis.

That said, the period of security fixes for a stable version is
determined by the next two stable GNU Health releases (approx 16
months). So, for instance 2.4 security support will last until the
release of 2.8.

Best,