Re: [Health-dev] Should distribution packaging solve the installation/co

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Should distribution packaging solve the installation/configuration issues our users are having? (was: Error connection client and server tryton, gnuhealth 2.8.1 ubuntu 14.04.1)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:22:01 +0000

Hi Emilien !
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:43:01 +0100
Emilien Klein <address@hidden> wrote:

> When I read a number of recent messages of the type "can't install",
> "can't connect", etc. I do feel that there is a need for a package
> coming from the distro's repository, that would auto-configure all
> that stuff. It would make a lot of "beginner" users happy.
> Of course, us veteran developers and system administrators have no
> problem setting all these things up, and doing the occasional
> debugging/reading through logfiles to see where it went wrong, but a
> lot of our users are naturally not that tech-savvy.
>
> This in reference to the discussion we had a couple of months ago,
> when I was working on the Debian package (which we removed from the
> repository, but the discussion was recently restarted due to the
> latest version of GNU Health being released).
> If you're interested, have a look at the use cases and personas I had
> described in this message [0]. Be warned, it is a long message ;)
> [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2013/09/msg00077.html
>
> There is no particular need for an answer on this message, but I just
> wanted to express my opinion as I've been having this thought a couple
> of times already this week, when reading the messages on the mailing
> list...

Thank you for your mail and suggestions. I think we need to enhance the
FAQ section on the book.

In addition, we need to make a standard way of reporting issues. We now
have ways to get information from the running host, in terms of Tryton
modules and GNU Health version, that can be appended.

> Cheers, and congrats on the new release!
Thank you ! :)

Best,
Luis