Re: [Health-dev] Secure PostgreSQL connection?

From: Dr. Axel Braun
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Secure PostgreSQL connection?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 21:19:47 +0100

Hi Gerald,

Am Montag, 28. Februar 2022, 17:22:04 CET schrieb Gerald Wiese:

> Why is the username not consistent? Couldn't we agree on either having a
> psql user tryton or gnuhealth?

Thats a bit coming from history: When you install from source, you can do wat
you want, place files where you want etc.

When you install from package you dont reinvent the wheel, but build on top of
what is there. You use postgres-packages, GNUpg, and Tryton packages, that are
shipped with the operating system. The Tryton server runs under the no-login
user tryton, and the GNU Health packages inherit this.
There is no need for a 'normal' user account, whatever this is named.

> Not sure if I'm missing something: As far as I understand there is an
> operating system user and a postgresql user. But there is no actual need
> to have the same name for both of them.
>
> Here it says
>
> 1) "gives permissions to your newly created gnuhealth administrator"
>
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Installation#Creating_the_Database_
> User
>
> And here
>
> 2) "The owner of the database should be the same user, as under which
> the tryton server runs (default:tryton)"
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/GNUHealth_on_openSUSE
>
>  From my understanding for 1) what is happening is creating a database
> user having the same name as the os user and 2) is not true. (When the
> database could even be on another system it would obviously be another user)

In this case you cant use the simple access for datbase and server running on
the same machine. If you connect with user:passwd to a different DB server you
are free to chose the user name. Just make sure your server can connect.

Feel free to correct if my understanding is wrong.

Cheers
Axel