Re: [Health] Codes for Imaging Tests

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] Codes for Imaging Tests
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:27:55 +0000

Dear Khurram
On Thu, 19 May 2016 11:54:23 +0500
Khurram Shahzad <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> While configuring Imaging Tests in GNU Health, for every test a Code
> is required. Should this be the code defined in ICD-PCS for that
> specific imaging procedure or it should be some other local code for
> the identification of that imaging procedure.

Thanks for the ideas !

Any unique code will be good, and your point is very good, since it
already maps an existing coding standard.

> For example, I am adding a imaging test "Plain Radiography of Skull"
> which is already defined in ICD-PCS under code "BN00ZZZ". Now should
> I use "BN00ZZZ" as code while adding this test?
>
> I think, we should attach every imaging test, defined in our system,
> with ICD-PCS using the code. Further, it would be nice if we can
> search from ICD while entering code during addition of imaging tests.

The ICD10-PCS procedure coding adoption is pretty much limited to the
US. I think ICPM (and its successor ICHI [1]), or ICD9-CM-Vol3 have a
more international scope. GNU Health covers today both ICPM and
ICD9procs. Unfortunately, for Dx Imaging, their scope is much more
narrow than ICD10-PCS.

Of course, you can use any coding system that your institution agrees.

> Your thoughts/ideas are more than welcome!

For the upcoming GNU Health 3.2, and since we're integrating more GNU
Health models to HL7 FHIR, the best way would be adapt the current
imaging model to the Imaging Study resource[2].

Let me know your thoughts

1.- http://www.who.int/classifications/ichi/en/
2.- https://www.hl7.org/fhir/imagingstudy.html

All the best