[Health] Some feedback: issues and recommendations

From: Leandro Poli
Subject: [Health] Some feedback: issues and recommendations
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 23:27:53 -0300

Hi everyone!

Today (checkout date of this mail) i've been playing around after a time out of using gnu/health, and found some things new at first sight.

First of all i'm really glad to find a new installer tutorial, with logical associations of steps (work on database all in one "transaction", not mixed between phases). Even more, i found it simplified, good job folks!. I'm happy to see a section for FreeBSD (which rocks!), but i see Debian it's not ¿supported?, although the Ubuntu section works out of the box on Linux Mint (18.04 -> Mint 19)

Well, until now, there are some "things" that are against the easy-to-use principle. So, propose this changes to the wiki installer (going by sections):

  • PostgreSQL: I think it's a good optional specify that must set a password for DB user "postgres", for example to access to the database without the unix socket (pgAdmin3 or other DBMS). And the way to do it is:
    • Accesing to "psql" with user "postgres"
    • Commiting the SQL sentence (where {password} it's database password for the user): ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD '{password}';
  • Pip dependencies: It's impossible continue (at least in Ubuntu based distros) without this dependencies: setuptools wheel. I recommend to put them at Pip dependencies section
  • I think there have to be better explained when have to edit with "editconf", where the password of the DB user goes. So, for example: In the line uri = postgresql://localhost:5432, the password goes in uri = postgresql:password//localhost:5432
  • Client: In Linux, virtualenv doesn't install a dependency, which it pygtk. So have to be "imported" from system installation (comes already installed) when creating a virtualenv; with the option --system-site-packages. Example:  virtualenv -p python2 --system-site-packages venv
  • Damn it! There is a bug i can't reproduce (even i don't know who a workaround it): Well, almost. When i did the tryton-admin command, it didn't prompt me for create a password!. Well i re-run it with verbose and found some interesting:

            17633 140256539907904 [2019-01-13 00:43:36,302] WARNING py.warnings /home/gnuhealth/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/psycopg2/__init__.py:144: UserWarning: The psycopg2 wheel package will be renamed from release 2.8; in order to keep installing from binary please use "pip install psycopg2-binary" instead. For details see: <http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/install.html#binary-install-from-pypi>.

        Well, i "pip-installed" (pip3) the dependencie psycopg2-binary. Then, i tried and didn't work. So started the trytond server (i don't know why) and works (trytond-admin prompting). So i stopped the server, reruned trytond-admin and created the password.

        I can't say what of all that "magic" make it works, but; take a look to that 'cause someone can think that it's ready to roll (when using the client) and never gets in due hasn't a password for admin user.

Nothing else for now. Oh! almost forgot it; well job to make the client work on Linux Mint 19. Last time i tested it (4 or 5 months ago) i wasn't working due some tricky dependecies missings.

Happy Hacking.

Leandro