Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:27:43 -0400

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 01:48:08AM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to bash v4.1.5 (debian lenny to debian squeeze)
> and I noticed that every time I run a bash script that starts with
> ???#!/bin/bash???, the current directory is echoed to the terminal.

Sounds like you've set some sort of option or variable, either in the
environment, or in your ~/.bashrc (if you've also set BASH_ENV).

> Interestingly, I was able to work around the problem by replacing
> #!/bin/bash by #!/bin/sh. It is unclear why, since /bin/sh is a soft
> link to /bin/bash.

When invoked as sh, bash changes its behavior in many ways.  One of
those ways is probably "ignore whatever option/variable the user set
that causes directories to be echoed".

I don't know a full list of all the various options/settings that can
cause directory names to be written.  One that I do know off the top of
my head is CDPATH:

imadev:~$ export CDPATH=~
imadev:~$ cd /tmp
imadev:/tmp$ cd bin