Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 17:07:09 -0600

Chris Jones wrote:
> I ran the script like so:
>
> | $ (unset BASH_ENV; myscript)
>
> .. and the directory is no longer echoed to the terminal.

Why is the BASH_ENV variable set?  The easiest and best solution would
seem to be to find where that is getting set and remove it so that it
isn't ever set.

The ksh needed ENV set in order to source a ksh envirionment script.
And so bash has that too as a compatibility option.  And also has
BASH_ENV which for a bash specific override.  But in all of the years
I have been using shells I haven't ever needed to set BASH_ENV.
Instead I let the automatic bashrc file processing do everything.

I think sometimes that people converting over from the old ksh to bash
sometimes get suckered into thinking they need more configuration than
they do and the go looking for how to set the same options they used
to set with ksh.  But in this case it just isn't needed.  If you think
it is then please write back and say why.  I am sure we can come up
with a better way of doing things.

> Unsure about the implications but for now I changed the two ‘cd -’
> commands to ‘cd - > /dev/null’ and the directory name is no longer
> echoed to the terminal.

The implications are that you are doing something as a workaround to
stop doing something else that you set it up to do.  I think it is
better to stop doing the thing you don't want it to do in the first
place and then there isn't a need for a workaround.  Do you really
need CDPATH set?

Bob