Re: [Help-bash] gv in vi mode with multiple lines

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] gv in vi mode with multiple lines
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:45:30 -0400

On 7/1/12 8:04 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I type a command that spans multiple lines. For example, I type
> the following incomplete command,
>
> ~$ echo 'a
>
> I then type ESC, gv. The vim window opened only include the 2nd line.
> The vim window should include both lines. Is there a way to configure
> the vi mode to do editing more intelligently?

Readline only works a line at a time.  If the calling application needs to
build commands of more than one line, like bash, it constructs them from
multiple calls to readline.  Bash does its best to retrieve mult-line
commands from the history list and allow the `v' command to edit them, but
it can always be made better.

> BTW, I don't find where the description of the gv usage. Could anybody

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the `g, since it's not bound to
anything.  The `v' command is described in

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sh.html#tag_20_117_13_03

Chet

Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/