Re: [Help-bash] Adding missing bash features for safely re-usable bash c

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Adding missing bash features for safely re-usable bash code
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:38:32 +0300

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM, adrelanos <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!

Asking the other way around...

Pierre Gaston:
> It may be difficult to write safely re-usable bash code

This doesn't look like something impossible to do, just like a missing
feature in bash.

That doesn't seem so simple to do to me.

What are the missing features in bash for writing easily, safely
re-usable bash code?

Without thinking too much about it what comes to my mind immediately:
 * bash has only one name space for functions, so it's easy to overwrite any function used in a module.
* There's only one name space for global variables
* There's a gazillion of options (shopt and set) to globally modify bash behavior (including parsing)

I don't think it's comprehensive by any measure

Could bash be extended with these missing features?

Maybe but I thought the most interesting part of my email was where I said that I don't think it prevents someone from making such a repository now,
and that by starting now it can bring some good things such as some guidelines and coding style guides.

I will even go as far as reverting your point of view: starting such a repository might help to identify what new features would really help .

In many projects what is lacking are not the features and a big list of  "must have" but someone starting to do the actual work. (And no I don't volunteer)