Re: [Help-bash] Adding missing bash features for safely re-usable bash c

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Adding missing bash features for safely re-usable bash code
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:20:58 -0600

Hi John,

I am not going to comment upon the code itself.  But I would like to
comment upon the license.  IANAL.  But I would like to stop the
proliferation of different and unique licenses.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_proliferation
  http://opensource.org/proliferation

John Kearney wrote:
> #I   Copyright: Copyright (c) 2002-2012, address@hidden
> #I      Author: John Kearney,                  address@hidden
> #I
> #I     License: All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying
> #I              materials are licensed and made available under the
> #I              terms and conditions of the BSD License which
> #I              accompanies this distribution. The full text of the
> #I              license may be found at
> #I              http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
> #I
> #I              THE PROGRAM IS DISTRIBUTED UNDER THE BSD LICENSE ON AN "
> #I              AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF
> #I              ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

I think your intention is to say that you are using the BSD license
referenced by the URL.  But in effect I think you have created yet a
new and unique license because you have mixed language in your text.
This means that anyone wanting to make use of the code would first
need to analyze how this interacts with the world all over again.
That makes it problematic.

Instead it would be most helpful if you used one of the standard free
licenses verbatim.  Then all of the standard analysis applies
directly.  Of course being on this mailing list the GPLv3 would be
most appreciated but any free(dom) license would be wonderful.

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

Bob