Re: [Help-bash] pasted command not available in history

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] pasted command not available in history
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:59:04 -0400

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:09:45PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> For my case, I see it is due to the following. Why I have 4 spaces
> between '[' and ']'. Where is this variable set? Thanks.
>
> ~$ echo "$HISTIGNORE"
> [   ]*:&:bg:fg:exit

Well.  It's highly unlikely that you have "4 spaces" there.  It's more
likely to be a space and a tab, or some other combination of whitespace
characters.  You could pipe it through a hex dump utility, or even through
"cat -te", to see what's actually in it.

imadev:~$ echo $' \t' | cat -te
 ^I$

We can't tell you where your computer sets that variable.  You'll have
to find it on your own.  The best we can do is give you some common
tricks for finding such things.

grep HISTIGNORE ~/.profile ~/.bash*

grep -r HISTIGNORE /etc

If neither of those finds it, then it will be much more difficult,
because then it's probably being set in a file that's sourced by some
second file that's sourced by some other file....