Re: [Help-bash] [bash] exported bash functions broken in chroot [Debian]

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] [bash] exported bash functions broken in chroot [Debian]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:46:03 -0400

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 05:33:21PM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Now, I am wondering if that is an issue that is known upstream at bash
> or if you have any insights?
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780970

> operating system: Debian jessie

> mkdir testdir
> sudo debootstrap wheezy ./testdir/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/

You've got two different versions of bash, so we have to see whether
both versions are using the same environment hack to export functions.
When the shellshock vulnerability hit, there was a mad rush of patches,
and some distributions did one thing, and some did another....

I don't have access to jessie at the moment, but here's what wheezy's
bash does:

address@hidden:~$ asdf() { echo asdf; }
address@hidden:~$ export -f asdf
address@hidden:~$ env | grep asdf
BASH_FUNC_asdf()=() {  echo asdf

And in your bug report I see this:

BASH_FUNC_testfunct%%=() {  true "$0 $FUNCNAME: ok"

So, assuming the %% version is what jessie is doing, we can see where
the incompatibility is.  Wheezy is using () and jessie is using %%.