[Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern Match

From: Michael Convey
Subject: [Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern Matching
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 14:41:41 -0700

Because my questions involve both bash and the find utility, ​I posted the
following to gnu's bug-findutils mailing list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-findutils/2015-06/msg00005.html

Eric Blake answered as follows:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-findutils/2015-06/msg00006.html​

To provide context, please read my question at the first link above and
Eric's answer at the 2nd link above and help me with the following:

   1. ​Similar to the 'find' utility, d
   oes bash use the fnmatch
   ​()​
   library or some other mechanism for
   ​ ​
   filename expansion and pattern matching?
   2. With respect
   ​
   filename expansion and pattern matching
   ​, how do I determine a complete list of
   differences between default bash and the find utility's -name option
   ​
   ?
   3. With respect
   ​
   filename expansion and pattern matching
   ​, i
   s there a way to configure bash to match 'find -name', or to configure
   'fine -name' to match bash?
   4. ​If bash uses fnmatch(), what flags does bash pass to fnmatch()?

   5. ​Does 'shopt -s dotglob'​ result in a changed flag in fnmatch?

​Thanks in advance for your help.