Re: [Help-bash] getting bash sh to read in personal config

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] getting bash sh to read in personal config
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:04:34 -0400

Bob Proulx wrote:
> On your system /bin/sh may or may not be bash.  On many systems it is
> linked to dash.  If it is dash or other then it won't run any bash
> specific environment script.

My intelligence feels insulted. Isn't it common knowledge that sh is
symbolicly linked to something else?

ls -l `which sh`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep 19 16:08 /bin/sh -> bash

Bob Proulx wrote:
> David Niklas wrote:
> > Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > ENV    Similar to BASH_ENV; used when the shell  is
> > > invoked in  POSIX mode.
> >
> > For posterity's sake I set this in /etc/profile to
> > export ENV=~/.profile
> > export BASH_ENV=~/.profile
>
> Eww...  Putting that into /etc/profile polutes everyone's
> environment.  Not good.

Only for those with an .profile file in their home dir, and I'm the
only user on my system, so I don't think it is a problem. Even if I
were on a multi-user system, I could mention it to everyone and take a
vote, most people that I've heard of that use Linux don't have a
~/.profile file.

> I suggest using X resources with different names.

I thought of that, but wanted something more general.
I also have not sought out the knowledge on how to tell what is called
what by X window.

Thanks, David