[Help-bash] OT: Extension to PATH environment variable's "API"

From: Christof Warlich
Subject: [Help-bash] OT: Extension to PATH environment variable's "API"
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 12:13:04 +0100

Hi,

I marked this as off-topic as this is not a request for help but the suggestion of an idea to slightly extend the utility of the PATH environment variable that I'd like to briefly discuss here.

Currently, there are two options when installing new binaries that should "just be found" through the PATH environment variable:

1) Adding the binaries to a directory that typically is already part of the PATH environment variable. 2) Putting the binaries into a new, dedicated directory and adding that directory to the PATH environment variable.

Both approaches have considerable disadvantages: The first one leads to cluttered directories (consider /user/bin on typical Linux distributions), e.g. missing the capability to group the binaries into the packages they belong, while the second causes a long and cluttered PATH. And both approaches more or less fail for binaries with conflicting (i.e. same) names.