Re: [Help-bash] OT: Extension to PATH environment variable's "API"

From: Christof Warlich
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] OT: Extension to PATH environment variable's "API"
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:52:22 +0100

   > Here's the first problem with that. Currently,
   >
   > ./arm/gcc
   >
   > means the same thing as
   >
   > arm/gcc
   >
   > and that's an expected and long established behavior. Your proposal
   would break that or conflict with it.

   Agreed, but this is why I suggested that such a feature could be
   enabled through a switch, similar to e.g. -o pipefail. In this case,
   backward incompatibitities would not matter.

   Further note the inconsistency of the current behavior: If the current
   working directory is not listed in PATH,

   $ ./executable_in_working_dir

   would find and execute executable_in_working_dir, whereas

   $ executable_in_working_dir

   would not be found.

   On the other hand, both

   $subdir/executable_in_subdir_of_working_dir

   and

   $./subdir/executable_in_subdir_of_working_dir

   are found and executed.

   But anyhow, if bash's policy in general is that no new feature
   (improvements) are desired, I'm totaly fine: You guys may have your
   (good) reasons.